According to the Mayan Calendar, Dec 21 2012 will be the End of the World. There has been a lot of hype lately about this so I thought I would share some ideas about how to get the most out of your “End of the World Vacation” I personally think that all will be well but just in case, Here are 10 Tips for enjoying what could be your last vacation:
1. Go to the Source. Pack up the family for an All Inclusive Vacation to the Mayan Riviera. The way I see it, if all goes according to the Mayan Calendar, since Dec 21 2012 is the big day, then the evening of Dec 20 2012 is going to be one heck of a party! Besides if it all turns out to be as big of a bust as Y2K, there’ll be even more reason to celebrate.
2. Take Plenty of Sunscreen. Just because the world is coming to an end doesn’t mean you shouldn’t look good with a nice tan. A higher SPF may also protect you from fire and brimstone.
3. Forget about any must see destinations like Machu Picchu, The Pyramids, Great Wall of China, Mount Everest etc. We’re talking the end of the world here and you probably should have picked a better time to see them. Also, Disney is out as I can’t see Mickey being his usual happy self on the eve of humanity’s demise (especially if Eeyore is moping around).
4. Pick a Beach Destination and make it an All Inclusive Resort. Since the end is near, this time you can drink and eat all you want without being concerned about your figure or worry about embarrassing videos of you acting like a complete dolt showing up on YouTube after having one too many cocktails.
5. Get Married on your Vacation. Pick a resort like Sandals that offers free weddings. Even If you’re single, find a complete stranger to exchange vows with and make the last few days memorable. Of course, if we are all still standing on the 22nd, my bad but I wish you both all the best in the future.
6. Two Words: Noah’s Ark. Consider a Cruise as your final vacation. Think about it; plenty of food, bars, casinos, entertainment and even a gym to keep you in shape for your extended journey at sea. If “The End” is going to be another flood, this is the way to go.
7. Pack Lightly. Self explanatory.
8. Carry your Passport Everywhere you go on your vacation especially on the 21st. No matter what religion or beliefs you have, if we are all hitting the afterlife at the same time, you can expect long lines and paperwork. By having your passport, you may be expedited through the queues.
9. Pick your Travel Companions carefully. Make sure you travel with at least one nerd and one really annoying know-it-all. I’ve seen enough disaster movies to know that the annoying guy always goes first and the nerd saves the world.
10. Go Big. Get the best room in the best hotel and fly first class. Upgrade everything and go out in style. Of course if nothing happens on Dec 21st, I take no blame if you’ve cashed in your RRSP’s or the Kids’ University Savings just so you could have HBO and a 60″ 3D Plasma TV in the bathroom of your hotel.
So there you have it, my top 10 ways to enjoy what could be your last vacation. Although obviously poking fun at the situation there is one tip that should be taken seriously. The Mayan Culture and history is quite fascinating and impressive and the Mayan Riviera as a destination should be on everyone’s list for any vacation. While mainly being well known for the spectacular white sandy beaches and luxurious all-inclusive resorts, this region of Mexico is quickly becoming one of the most popular destinations in the world for Eco-tourists, sun worshippers and history buffs alike. Temples, pyramids, and ancient ruins like Chitzen Itza and Tulum offer true insight into Mayan past and new ruins are being found every year. A vacation to the Mayan Riviera is extremely rewarding and satisfying for any style of travel.